Monday, April 29, 2013

Putting the Bang in "The Big Bang Theory"

As I sit here wishing away the pain that is my low-grade migraine, I realize that I am falling back in old habits of not posting on my beloved blog. Most of my Monday has majorly sucked the big one, so this is a step toward making it better. So without further ado, here we go. 

I love TBS's "The Big Bang Theory." Love the comedy, the relationships, everything about it. But most of all, I love Kaley Cuoco who brings life the the character Penny. In the show, she's a Nebraska gal who moved to Cali looking for her big break as an actress after a rough breakup with her loser boyfriend. Of course, her on-screen Nebraska ties make me love her even more (even though she's a true California girl). 
Anyway, she was recently on Jimmy Kimmel talking about her appearance a the SAG Awards. She decided to rock some bangs to cover up a mishap while filming the show. http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/04/28/Kaley-Cuoco-explains-her-questionable-SAG-Awards-hairdo-I-had-a-black-eye/6491367189009/ It is definitely not traditional Kaley, but she received so much flack about this hair style. There's a video clip of her on Kimmel where she reads some of the reviews...they are funny. I was watching the TV Guide scroll yesterday and they were doing a segment on Meryl Streep, and they talked about how Meryl said, "my appearance has never defined me, my acting has" and I think this is how Kaley should approach the bang situation. She is definitely one of my top 5 favorite actresses, no matter how she wears her hair to an awards show. 

It just made me think about the things women do to keep up appearances...coloring our hair, getting our nails done, accessorizing to deal with those bad hair days, you name it. Always doing what we can to make sure we're looking our best. Wouldn't want anyone to comment on our unwashed hair, or God forbid, our decision to wear bangs to cover an unfortunate black eye. 

It also makes me think kids who want to be movie stars when they grow up. That was never a dream of mine, but life in the lime light isn't always what it's cracked up to be (in my opinion). Your right to privacy is non-existent. You are criticized every second of every day. Everything is blown out of proportion. The paycheck may be nice, but is it worth it? Maybe some people like the constant attention, but I just don't think that's a lifestyle I could handle. I enjoy my life out of the public eye. I would hate to see a headline like, "Local authorities called to Sup residence after screams heard by neighbors." When what really happened was an intense game of Mario Kart in which Cassie hits me with a blue shell as I am inches away from the finish line...I would be screaming "Hooker" or "Whore" at her or something. (Yes, we are serious about Mario Kart...especially if wine has been consumed. I can see a new headline now: "Actress promotes drunken driving.") Maybe I wouldn't be playing Mario Kart if I were famous.......nah, yes I would. Mario Kart rules. 

And as I finish these last few words, my low-grade migraine has been demoted to a headache. You see? My blog is medicine. You're welcome. 

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment