Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Welcome to Lyla's 90th Birthday Party!

DISCLAIMER: If you get easily nauseated/grossed out by reading about bodily functions, stop reading when I mention "Lazy Horse Vineyards". You've been warned.

We've all heard the phrase, "I see no good reason to act my age." Well, this weekend my wine-tasting pals and I were witness to why there's a perfectly good reason to act our ages.

In an effort to get a few steps closer to completing our wine passport, Cassie and I ventured out of town with Steve and Lisa. First stop was at The Rose Colored Glass in Stromsburg, NE. Beautiful little art gallery/tasting room/shop. The 4 of us downed a bottle of Jesse James, and piled back in the car and drove to Superior.

We stepped in the doors at Superior Estates, and were greeted by a sign that said, "Welcome to Lyla's 90th Birthday Party!" Luckily, wine tastings were still being offered so we were able to taste away. They had several delicious wines so we enjoyed ourselves. Afterward, we heard that there was a good Mexican restaurant in Superior, so we made our way downtown to see what the fuss was all about. Jumbo margaritas, chips and salsa, burritos, chimichangas, fajitas, and a muy guapo waiter did not disappoint. (Thanks for the recommendation Amy!)

We hit the road once again; destination Ohiowa, NE. You just said "Ohiowa? Never heard of it" didn't you! Well, it exists. It was worth the stop. Well, all until "the incident." Lazy Horse Vineyards is a beautiful place. Country setting, roaming horses, plentiful grape vines, and people galore. It was very hot out, and unfortunately, we had to sit at the only available table outside. I am no fan of being hot, but I was trying my best to be a trooper and enjoy myself. However, the people at the table next to us had been enjoying themselves for what looked like hours judging by the 6 empty wine bottles on their table. These people looked to be in their upper-40's, early-50s, and they were tanked. We all know that our lips get a bit loose when we've had a few, but their conversation was not appropriate for a public place. And it's not like this group was speaking quietly among themselves.

Because we were outside, we had to go indoors to get our next sample of wine. I had also had enough of this mother discussing her sons "shower rituals" (to put it as PG as possible). When I returned with my glass of sangria, my cohorts looked at me and said, "Okay, we're leaving." I was like, "What? I just got this glass!" I was not aware of what happened in my brief absence. Apparently, a woman in this group had been in the restroom for an extended period of time, and when she came back outside, she vomited on herself. I threw back my glass of sangria (which really was a pity, because it's drink that should be enjoyed sip by sip). and waited inside to pay our tabs. I overheard the staff talking about how that lady had vomited all over the women's restroom. Multiple stalls and the sink. Then I see her walk back in, and she's standing at the sink washing vomit out of her hair. THAT, my friends, is a shining example of why you should act your age. She should have said "when" a long time ago. I was embarrassed for her. The older you get, the wiser you must be about testing your limits. I'm all about having a good time, but I feel like I know when to say when.

 
Anyway, we had a pretty darn good time until that last stop. We'll have to return to Lazy Horse when they're not so busy to enjoy the wine and pizza (two of my favorite things on the face of the earth)! And in case you were wondering, it seemed like Lyla had a wonderful 90th birthday.

1 comment: