Thursday, July 21, 2016

For the Love of Pets

A few weeks ago, my niece and I traveled to Omaha to spend some time with my sister. We had a girls day full of fun: pedicures, ice cream, and painting pottery. After supper we went to the movie "The Secret Life of Pets." I had built up a lot of hype for this movie, which I know isn't good because it usually leaves me disappointed. Unfortunately, my reaction to my movie was lackluster. It was okay. However, it did get me thinking about pets. Also, I saw today on Facebook that one my friends had to part with their furbaby, so it inspired today's post.

Right before my senior year of high school, my mom and dad got a wild hair and decided to get a puppy. I don't even remember asking them for a pet...but now that I'm thinking about it, I could totally see myself saying, "Mom, you're going to need someone to keep you busy when I go off to college next Fall." I remember the day my parents brought  him home. He was a miniature schnauzer, and we decided to name him Harley. Handsome Harley. He was the sweetest. I could not sleep that night listening to his cries from the kitchen, so I took my pillow to lay with him for a little while. We fell asleep on the floor. From that point on, we were buds.
The time came for me to go to Lincoln to attend college. I had a picture of me and Harley snuggled up on the couch to keep a piece of him with me. When I went home for a weekend, I always looked forward to the time when I pulled in the driveway. Mom would open the door, and Harley would beeline to my car anxious to see me. At that moment in time, no one loved anyone more than that dog loved me. He had a wiggle about him when we was super excited, and I can still picture him doing it to this day. It still makes me smile.
Unfortunately, Harley crossed the rainbow bridge way before we expected. He had been through a lot and developed some health problems that he couldn't overcome. He'd been ill for quite some time, and we couldn't watch him suffer any longer. It was not the life a dog should live. I am not exaggerating when I say that I cried for an hour after I got the news. I couldn't hold back the tears no matter how hard I tried. I will always miss him. My mom still has his collar and tags hanging on a framed picture of him that reads (what else) "Handsome." I love that she's kept it out on display for all of these years. Just shows you how much we loved him.

I know many of you can relate to this. Pets hold a special place in our hearts. They become family. And until you're a pet owner, I don't think you can fully understand the bond. That's why I get so irritated when people say, "He's just a dog." You sir, are an asshole. He's not "just a dog" to me. He was much, much more.

I've wanted a dog of my own for many years now, but I cannot bring myself to adopt one. Yet. I'm too busy. I'm gone all the time. I can't just leave my pet home for days at a time while I'm out of town. So, to fill the void, I have Dusty. Dusty is also a miniature schnauzer who belongs to my brother's family. Dusty and I spend quite a bit of time together, and he helps curb my craving of owning a dog. He's my buddy though, and I love him as my own. I mean just look at that face. How could you not love him?

Give your furry friends an extra hug today. In the words of Roger Caras, "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

2 comments:

  1. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” —Will Rogers

    ReplyDelete