Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Defining Lazy

I'm pretty sure that you could look up the definition of lazy and find my picture. I have felt beyond lazy  for over a week now. Sluggish, unmotivated, lethargic, slow-moving (well, that's all the time). Let me enlighten you.
Example 1
This weekend, I finally had a clear calendar. No events going on that required my attendance. Perfect weekend to work on the house, right? Wrong! Instead of sanding walls and stripping wallpaper, I thought it was a better idea to sit on my couch. All. Day. Now, I did dust my rental and clean the kitchen, but that was about it for Saturday. Besides, I had all day Sunday to do stuff. So Sunday arrives. Again, I'm thinking of everything I can do that doesn't involve working on the house. So, an impromptu trip to Norfolk sounds like a great plan. In my defense, I did need to get out of town to get my mom and niece some birthday gifts. So, at least I can cross something off my list. But instead of doing some laundry or unloading the dishwasher when I got home, I decided I wanted to hang out with Cassie. My laziness must have rubbed off on her, because we went to Pump and Pantry and rented 2 movies. I remember saying to Cass, "I love our Sundays."
Example 2
I'm not one of those people who can reuse a bath towel after I've dried off with it. It grosses me out. So, I feel like I'm constantly washing towels. Anyway, after I got home from work, I got some groceries and took my mom her birthday gift. I came home and dove into a banana bread recipe because I had 3 very brown bananas that were stinking up the place. (How can something so icky make bread that is so good?? Oh yes, now I remember. Adding sugar and butter usually does the trick.) When the bread was in the oven, I threw a load of towels in the washing machine. Cassie had just returned from Norfolk and was eager to show me her purchases. Once I switched the towels over to the dryer, I took off for her house. After a leisurely bike ride to see my blooming tiger lilies (they are gorgeous) we went back to her house and played some Mario Brothers. I love us. We just refuse to grow up! Anyway, my bedtime approached and I rode my bike back home and convinced myself I was too tired to walk down 10 stairs and change my laundry over to the dryer. I wasn't too tired, however, to track radar of the approaching storm and soak in the glory that was the sound of thunder and rain which eventually lulled me to sleepy-town. Ahhhh.
Example 3
I wake up this morning at 6:20 a.m. so I was already running behind. I jump in the shower and remember that ALL of my towels are in the basement, because I was too lazy to go down last night and bring them upstairs. Instead, I dried off with 2 hand towels. Yeah, that's what laziness gets you. It probably just added time to my morning routine.
I think laziness and procrastination go hand in hand. I did myself no favors in college either...always waiting until the last minute to do things. Then I heard a quote one day that was just perfect. "Procrastination is like masturbation. It feels good at the time, but in the end, you're just screwing yourself." Yes, a little inappropriate, but accurate. And if that offends you in any way, you probably shouldn't be reading my blog. I just don't see a cure for laziness in my future. And I think I'm okay with that for now. If I had enough ambition to search for a cure, I'd probably put it off until tomorrow.

But before I sign off here, I'd like to wish my fabulous mother Sally a very happy birthday! She is simply the best and deserves to have the best day ever!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment