Monday, August 15, 2016

Weekend of the B's

Becky, Barn Wood & Brushstrokes, Brittany, and Barbie. That pretty much sums up my weekend.

I hadn't seen Becky in quite some time, so we decided to pick a weekend to get together with our friend Danielle. Since Danielle was 3 weeks away from babe #2, a "night out on the town" just wasn't what the doctor ordered (also, since we're all in our thirties now, our idea of a good time has changed drastically). Instead, we grabbed lunch at The J and then headed down to Main Street to do some painting. After carefully selecting our pottery and paint colors, our artistic sides took over and we were in the zone. If you've never visited a place to paint some pottery, I highly recommend giving it a try. It really is quite therapeutic, and allows one to take a step back from the chaos that can be life. Time flies by and before you know it, a few hours pass. Now in a week, I'll have a new trusty coffee mug to enjoy my morning joe.

Our painting session ended and we parted ways until our next adventure. Later, Becky and I met up again and zipped over to Elgin to see Ashley and the girls and then we had to watch some Olympics that evening.

The next day I was actually semi-productive. Since the Olympics have been robbing me of Z's, I slept in. It was glorious. I relish the thought of waking up without an alarm clock, but some days I worry...what if I don't wake up until noon? That never happens like it did when I was a kid, but then I thought again..."what do I care? I'm single, I don't have kids, why should I have to get up in the morning?" The answer is I don't. #singlegirlperks

After I mowed my yard I headed over to my mom's house. My brother needed to spend some more time getting his classroom ready for the school year (crazy to say that....my brother is a teacher now) and mom had some errands to run, so I stayed with Brit. To my surprise, she decided to carry up the tote full of Barbie stuff. I was flooded with flashbacks of myself sitting in the basement playing with Barbies for hours and hours, only stopping for meals and bathroom breaks. A successful birthday party included at least one new Barbie. I just love the fact that my niece can now enjoy them. Although Barbie's hair is a bit more tangled than I remember, I just think that's a sign that they've been well-loved.
So Brit and I set up the Barbie Boutique. I mean this place would put any department store to shame. We had it all: dresses for all occasions, men's and women's pants/shirts/shorts/bathing suits/furniture, and yes, even a motor vehicle department stocked with one red corvette, one yellow jet ski, and one pink scooter. I got a heck of a deal on a corvette at $500 and later came back for the jet ski. After some haggling, the store owner came down to $20 for the Baywatch edition jet ski. I mean, I couldn't pass up the deal, especially when it matched Baywatch Ken. It was such a fun afternoon with Brit. One I will cherish. She just makes me laugh. "Hi my name is Brian, but all of his friends call me Jack." How does she come up with this stuff?

So I've had Barbie on the brain, and I'm curious what your favorite Barbie's were gals! There were so many that I loved, but one of my favorites was Malibu Barbie. In a close second place was Gymnast Barbie. And then, of course Husker Barbie came out. Luckily, my dad bought 2 of them. One for the collector and one for the kid. It's no fun to look at Barbie in the box. So, take a stroll down memory lane and post a pic or let me know what your favorite Barbie was! I want to know!

1 comment:

  1. Beach Blast Barbie 1989!! Her hair weave was boss...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoBTaG6nm8
    Miss you Sup!
    HOLLY O

    ReplyDelete